2011/09/23

Recess week is on!

So the last weeks have been a bit hectic with hand-in assignments, quizzes and mid-terms. I realized that I haven't had a day free from studying for over two weeks now so it feels a bit good to finally get a break. This week I had a hand-in assignment and a group assignment in quantum mechanics (we're I learned some awesome new things like matrix exponentials for instant), a quiz in Chinese and one in number theory and to top it off I had a mid-term in introduction to solids.



When I get back from recess another mid-term awaits on Monday morning, a hand-in assignment until Monday, a mid-term the following Friday and the Monday after that another term-test. The picture above is from one of my regular lecture halls.



Last Wednesday I received the first part of my Wushu-club uniform; long-pants and a t-shirt! Now I'm just waiting for shoes and a belt. I'll post pictures of it when I've gotten the full uniform!

So the day before yesterday you could feel recess moving closer and I had to go collect my ticket for the Singapore Grand Prix, the collection point was inside one of the more expensive hotels in Singapore and just walking in there in my school clothes made me feel a bit under dressed. But afterwards I was one awesome ticket richer!


So after everything on Friday me and some friends took a cab and went directly into the city to try to catch the first F1 practice session. We just made it and they started driving just as we were trying to find a good spot to watch from.



We had gotten the cheapest tickets available (38 SGD) so we always had a net in the way of our view and it was a bit crowded at times. The F1 is spread out over three days with two practice sessions on the Friday, one practice session and the qualifying race on Saturday and last but not least the real race on Sunday evening. The ticket was only valid for the Friday and the tickets for the other days cost about 150 SGD, but that really isn't a problem since I'm going to fly to Bali instead today!



But watching the F1 was really cool, to see how light and fast they are and feel the camera shake from the sound every time they accelerate. Truly incredible cars!


Taking photos of the moving cars was kind of a challenge, pretty soon I realized that the best way was to try to follow them with the camera but it was still hard trying to adapt the speed to cars so a lot of the pictures got blurry but I've tried to upload the better ones.

The guys I went to the GP with are three Danish guys (Jacob, Jacob and Mahmoud) that I'm taking Chinese and Introduction to Solids with, we are also going together to Indonesia (Bali and Yogyakarta) together with another Danish guy and a Korean!


And of course there were not just F1 all the time, there is a lot of activities going on when the cars are not on the circuit. For example a lot of bands, unfortunately the Friday bands weren't especially famous (compared to Shakira, Linkin Park and Rick Astley that are playing today and tomorrow), but we saw the Bollywood Express which is an Indian pop-band. It was actually better than I had imagined and the music was some kind of Indian-inspired dance-pop with a lot of dance and show accompanying it.


There were also girls with "sufficiently covering" clothes, which of course is customary during male dominated events like races and game conventions.


Between the two F1 practice sessions there was a qualifying race for the JK Racing Asia Series (also known  as the Formula BMW Asia series). Smaller and slower cars that almost looked like go-carts with F1 chassis (as Jacob stated).


But even though they were slower they still managed to crash repeatedly so I believe three or four cars had crashed at the end of the qualifying race.


But of course the F1 cars was the coolest by far!


We'll see when I get a chance to do another blog post but it might take a while since I'm going to Indonesia so have a nice recess week everybody!

P.S. There are more photos available to watch at https://picasaweb.google.com/114175536639546946829/QuantumGrape?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJPNyLuouqWtxAE&feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment