2011/11/03

Om nom nom

 
Okay, so I know you guys home in Sweden are wondering a lot about what I actually eat down here. So for starters, I always eat out now a days because it costs about the same as making my own breakfast at home. But this is also due to the fact that we don't have a real kitchen at the hostel but only a fridge (and also a toaster and a water boiler now) so you're pretty limited in what you can do and then breakfast at home get's more expensive. For example: one liter of yogurt costs around 6 SGD which is over 30 SEK!

So now I usually go to school and get my breakfast at one of the canteens, usually the vegetarian place at Canteen B where I can practice my Chinese with the shop owner! So a usual breakfast can look something like this:


It consists of egg noodles with some sliced cabbage, a piece of tofu and two eggs. I accidentally started eating before taking the picture so the very deliciously fried and not so healthy curry puff (a kind of pirogi filled with boiled potato and curry) isn't shown in the picture but they usually look something like this:


Even though unhealthy they are really good, especially in the morning when they are fresh, crispy and warm. But don't worry, it's not something I eat every day! This morning I also topped off with some fruit afterwards.



Then we have lunch! I usually eat lunch at Canteen B as well but I try to vary myself since they have a pretty good assortment of food stalls there. One of the places I keep coming back to though is the Indian cuisine which is really good. Yesterday's lunch looked like this:


The Indian food has a lot of good stews both with and without meat, so this is a couple of vegetable stews, scrambled eggs with vegetables (or more like a chopped up omelet), mutton stew, some roti prata (which is fried bread, the Indians can make really good bread, naan is another favorite although Canteen B does not have the best naan). And then you always get a small bowl of curry when you buy bread. This is one of my more expensive lunches: 4.20 SGD which is about 23 SEK.

And then dinner can vary even more! This is not one of my common dinners (since it was the first time I tried it), I bumped into Annina and Hallvard at the canteen and they where looking for the place which sold something called steamboats. Eventually Annina found it and she and I got a set each. A steamboat looks something like this:




You get a bunch of raw food that you cook yourself in a small pot filled with bouillon, and the pot is being heated by a small but pretty wild burner. It was a bit "expensive" (being canteen food) at 6 SGD and maybe not the best tasting you can find but it was certainly one of the most exciting dishes I've eaten and you did get quite a lot of food (and a lot less hair on your hand due to the flames).

So that's a sneak peek into what I eat here in Singapore, I will try to post more pictures of what I eat in the future since the food is one of Singapore's real highlights.

So time for dinner perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment